Monday, June 30, 2014

Connected and (a few) Posts of the Week

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected. ~ Chief Seattle of the Suwamish Tribe

Lest I leave blogging behind all summer, I figured I'd better get a post up now and again. This is the now. Before too long, there'll probably be an again.

Below are a few images of creatures I've happened upon in one way or another - at or close to home.

A few weeks back, Frank discovered a large hole near one of our pine trees. He surmised that it could belong to none other than a groundhog.

busy groundhog5Sure enough, a few days later, a glance out the kitchen window, toward some movement in the garden prompted me to grab the camera and capture this little cutie.




busy groundhog4
Nom, nom, nom.





busy groundhog
We're hoping that none of the neighbours see him. Some didn't take kindly to the beaver in our lake - understandably since they have done serious damage to trees on the property. We know that groundhogs aren't generally very popular critters either so stay less visible, little guy!

Early summer is a busy time for egg-laying, if you're a turtle. Unfortunately, very few of them seem to make it to maturity since other creatures, like raccoons are quick to find the unattended eggs. The sides of the road (near the swampy areas) are strewn with small white opened and empty egg shells.

snapping turtle laying eggs2
I was driving along our road when I saw this Common Snapping Turtle busy laying her clutch. She's way bigger than she appears, and gave me a few warning snaps even though I never left the car to photograph her.





painted turtle crossing road
Later that same day, I was driving along a country side road when I saw this little guy sloooooowly making its way across my path.





painted turtle crossing road4
I got out to have a closer look, and found that it was a very pretty Painted Turtle. It was only halfway across the road and I figured it needed a bit of help getting to its destination safely.





painted turtle a bit of help
Of course, I took the obligatory up close photo before sending it on its way. He's a bit shell shocked. ;)





waiting for night visitors
Benny spends a few active hours after dark, looking for and chasing night creatures. Ninety-nine percent of the time, his chase is only in his imagination - although he was observered by our neighbour cavorting with a red fox a couple of weeks ago. He charges, snuffles, barks and then disappears for a few minutes, until call back. Most of the time, he returns all proud of himself for playing the fierce doggie cop - to nothing.





night visitor
But every now and then, there's truly a reason for his guarding duties - like this young raccoon raiding the bird feeders.





night visitor help
He's managed to get himself stuck between the feeder and the lamp. Help! He left soon after Benny came back inside. I love his little foot print on the siding.





wet skitty
Last, but not least, this odd looking creature is a very wet, Skittles. He needed a much-hated bath after a two hour round trip to the vet. He didn't like traveling in the carrier without his brother and had a couple of accidents - there and back. "Smelly cat, oh smelly cat, what are they feeding you?"

Hopefully there'll be more photos coming up soon. Blog visits will happen sporadically. I hope everyone in the northern hemisphere is enjoying this wonderful summer. I know I am, and that's the main reason that I haven't collected too many Posts of the Week, recently. I do have a few photography posts for you to visit, and a couple of our regulars have sent me posts which they have recommended. So please do visit the few offerings that I have for you, and I'll try to have more for you soon-ish.


❀    ❀    ❀



And now, without further delay, here are the Posts of the Week. The icon below is yours for the taking if your blog post is named as a POTW.










***


PHINE PHOTOGRAPHY

Brian II
by Adrian
at Adrian's Images

Macro With Red Background
by Linda
at The View From Squirrel Ridge

Stormy Beauty
by Fiona
at Lady Fi

Close That Oven Door
by Tabor
at Room WIthout Walls


***

READERS' CHOICE
 

Recommended by:  Joeh
The Satellites are Laughing
by Murr
at Murrmurrs

Recommended by: Eddie
D-Day Remembrances: 70 Years On
by Hilary Melton-Butcher
at Positive Letters ... Inspirational Stories...


***

Please drop by their blogs for a visit and leave a kind comment if you have the time. Also, please feel free to add your own choices (for any blog except this one) for a specific blog post in the comments section below, where others can see them.

Thank you

53 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nice to see you, dear hilary! well, at least see your critters and visitors! cute benny! :D

off to view some blogs! thanks for them!

Jenn Jilks said...

Ah, enjoy life, blog if you will, adore your critters, as I do! Life is a journey...

I do adore your groundhog/gopher whatever.
We named ours Fred. The cats liked to torment him.
Fun photos, there is so much to see, isn't there?!
Happy Canada Day!

stephen Hayes said...

I've never seen a groundhog in the wild. Great photos.

TexWisGirl said...

wow, that d-day post is incredible and impressive...

L. D. said...

I really like the woodchucks but some people have no tolerance. I like your shots of the raccoon. I have a mother raccoon that traditional lives in my big silver maple tree here in town. If I had some kinds of neighbors I am sure she would be gone. She does head to the corn field and eats the field corn when it is young and delicious. Great shots.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oohh turtles and groundhogs! Wonderful, as all the critters are.

Kerry said...

Summer is for being out and away from computer screens, right? Yep.

I hope Benny keeps his distance from the groundhogs b/c they will definitely tangle with a doggy that comes close. But I like watching groundhogs too, preferably in your back yard, not mine. :)

Lisa Gordon said...

It's so nice to see you here, Hilary!
I just love your little groundhog. I saw one last week next to our pond. They're so cute!

Oh no, poor Skittles!!! :-)

Out on the prairie said...

an enjoyable selection

Cloudia said...

Priceless shots, Hil

Benny and the fox, eh?

Loved these, and knowing you are having a good Summer




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= <3

Gail Dixon said...

Oh no! Phoebe is singing Smelly Cat in my head and might possibly be there all night. haha

Congrats to all the POTW-ers. I have some visiting to do now. :)

Enjoyed each and every photo here. Wish you could post more often, but I do understand. Enjoy your summer. I hope it's cooler than ours...

yaya said...

Most of the time I see groundhogs on the side of the road...and not looking as cute as that guy! They are not well loved around these parts but you sure did catch some great shots of him! When our Eddy goes after something in the dark we panic because it very well could be a skunk! Hope Benny sticks to the non-smelly variety of vermin! Congrats to the POTW gang!

Linda said...

Thanks so much for the POTW! Love your critter photos.
Have a great summer!

DJan said...

Such sweet creatures! My favorite, though, is Benny. What a guy, cavorting with foxes. :-)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great shots of all the activity around your area.

Brian Miller said...

oh my...i would hate to imagine trying to give my cat a bath...he got one...a long time ago...and i almost bled to death...ha....

i usually try to rescue the turtles i see....groundhogs...we got them all over...ha.

congrats to the POTW

Anonymous said...

What lovely animal shots! I'd love to see a groundhog in real life. And thanks for the mention today!

Bob Bushell said...

I love the Groundhog and the Raccoon, they are superb.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Great shots all round Hilary and glad to see you back.

I'm stating a nw regular weekend feature on "Quotations To Brighten Any Weekend", partnering Eva's "Weekend Silliness" and hope it gets off the ground OK. Time will tell.

Hugs ~ Eddie

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love that groundhog!! And I am so glad that you helped the turtle :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Hilary - thanks for posting the link to me .. I had no idea what POTW meant .. but will thank Eddie and also TexWisGirl for coming across to the D-Day commemorative post ..

Wonderful Groudhog, raccoon, turtles - they're great, Benny and your rather damp put-cat .. lovely photos .. cheers Hilary

Maggie May said...

Never seen a ground hog as we don't get them here. Looks like a rodent.

Loved the turtle pictures and also the one of Benny. All the dogs in my life lie with their back legs trailing out like his were.
Poor wet cat! They hate getting wet, don't they?
Maggie x

Nuts in May

ADRIAN said...

Five gorgeous animals. I love this and many thanks for the great honour. Better than a Knighthood.

photowannabe said...

Oh my! Your poor kitty. That's one sad cat.
Hilary, I just love your critters. Amazing photos.
Enjoy your summer.
Life is just too short to be stuck in front of the computer.

Daryl said...

oh poor skittie .. how humiliating … awesome POTW choices

Tabor said...

Thanks for you POTW award again! I do think raccoons and groundhogs are cute, but extremely devastating. We would not get a single vegetable and most of my flowers would never reach bloom if we did not trap and move them to another area. Of course, that does not stop others from doing the same to us!!

messymimi said...

it's good to see you and your neighbors and family! (Of course the critters are family and neighbors.) Enjoy your summer!

waldlaeufer68 Frank Scholtyssek said...

The marmot was very hungry and sat down for like an extra in a pose ...
Benny but his pose is much better ..;-)
regards Frank

Unknown said...

Wonderful animal photographs. I hope you have a really enjoyable summer.

A Cuban In London said...

I'm still thinking of that groundhog. SO cute! :-)

Greetings from London.

Anonymous said...

That groundhog is a cutie! I promise I won't tell the neighbors he's around. My fierce "guard" dogs are very similar to Benny...usually guarding us from nothing, but doing it very bravely. Congrats to the POTW!

Slamdunk said...

Always a perk to see what wildlife is creeping around your area, Hilary. I'd be with Benny watching the show outside--the raccoon looks particularly entertaining.

Off to visit some of your recommendations now.

Jackie said...

I'm away at our mountain home for a while, and I haven't gotten onto the net to read and respond to blogs like I do when I'm back home, but being here always gives me such a happy feeling and a big smile. Your photos have a way of eliciting both of those within me.
I had an inside kitty that I bathed. I did it on a regular basis. I'm not sure he ever really forgave me for those baths!
I love your photos. Magnificent artist you are with that camera!

Rita said...

Oh, I have missed visiting at your place with all the critters and scenery! So lovely! And occasionally exciting--LOL! No wonder we haven't seen as much of you this summer. ;)

Murr Brewster said...

Thanks for the nod! I have something for you: a song by the Rain Crows (featuring naturalist/blogger extraordinaire Julie Zickefoose) about helping turtles cross the road. Because there had to be a song, right?

Pearl said...

Love the pics.

And I, too, would enjoy a raccoon paw print on the siding. :-)

Pearl

holdingmoments said...

Some fine creatures there Hilary.
I think I'd be rather pleased to see all of them. Can't understand some people. lol

Rob-bear said...

Seems as if you have enough creatures to start your own zoo, Hilary. Of course, your zoo wouldn't have any fences, so the creatures could come and go as they choose. Though that would mean the critters might no be on hand for "regular viewing hours."

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Suldog said...

I love all your photography, as you well know by now, but you especially do amazing work with animals. Poor Skittles!

Indrani said...

Shell shocked indeed! :)
Loved seeing your captures.

Unknown said...

Best photo of Benny I've seen thus far! Poor Skittles is a trooper. Hope he's dry and feeling in better mood. Enjoy your new home and summer, Hilary!!! :)

Betsy Brock said...

Oh, poor Skittles! They do hate the vet, don't they?

That raccoon cracks me up! We have one that climbs out tree and empties the bird feeder at night.

I just love turtles, so I really enjoyed your photos here! Wonderful!

Mage said...

Thanks for taking the time to inspire us, poke us, and humor us. I'm waving your way. Yes, mam, I shall go visit your POTW with joy. :)

SandyCarlson said...

So good to be here, Hilary! Your turtle "snaps" are awesome!

Pauline said...

Your picture stories are always so entertaining. Summer is keeping me busy as well so blog/computer time is limited. Thanks for your continued visits :)

Chicken said...

Hi Smitten-hope you have a great summer, too. Love these pics, particularly the ground hog ones. He's so cute.

ellen abbott said...

I've been so busy myself that I can either post or read but not both. cute little ground hog. I hope the neighbors don't see him too.

Haddock said...

That turtle looks real old. Wonder how many years she must have crossed these same roads to lay her eggs.

Joanna Jenkins said...

The raccoon footprint-- love that.

But the turtle! Whoa! What a face.
xo jj

Shammickite said...

Hi Hilary.... I just spent a few days in cottage country, but nowhere near your country estate. It was lovely to get away from routine for a while. Yes, I saw turtles, and racoons, red squirrels but no groundhogs. However OlderSon and family saw a bear!

Sharon Wagner said...

We found a just hatched snapping turtle this summer. So tiny. Cute at that size!

Lynne with an e said...

Good to see that you're making lots of new friends and not feeling socially isolated out there, retreating into your shell or beavering away at blogging with tired raccoon-rim eyes and such. Seems you're not barking up any wrong trees but are instead remaining well-grounded while hogging all the summer sun you can cram into a day. I hope you're enjoying the lake and keeping as cool as a wet cat on a warm wooden porch.

Dan said...

I'm enjoying your adventures from afar. :)