Monday, December 28, 2015

The Sun, the Moon and the Truth

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
~ Buddha



window view late sun autumn 2
THE SUN
I don't see the point of photographing trees or rocks because they're there and anyone can photograph them if they're prepared to hang around and wait for the light. ~ David Bailey
This is the view from my living room window back in October. I'm looking toward the east and the sun is setting behind me, casting this lovely light on the still foliage-laden trees.





full moon through misty windows5
THE MOON
Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly. ~ Khaled Hosseini
The same window, but the view changes pretty dramatically at night.





cardinal comes tapping
THE TRUTH
The cardinal is at his wit's end - it is true that he had not far to go. ~ Lord Byron
This image was taken back in March when I was visiting my previous Mississauga neighbours and good friends, Caroline and Lloyd. The cardinal had been making a daily appearance at their back door to fight the identical male cardinal reflected in the window.





out my window5
THE SUN
The sun does not shine for a few trees and flowers, but for the wide world's joy. ~ Henry Ward Beecher
Two days before the sunset in the first image, I glanced out and saw this vibrant view.





moonrise
THE MOON
The moon rode in the sky - a hunted thing dodging behind wisps of tattered cloud, and the air was heavy and wet and redolent of dying leaves. ~ Jane Dixon Rice
I can't complain about the show the sky puts on some days – and nights.





A fan of the sun
THE TRUTH
The past is a window to look through; not a room to stay in. ~ Kevin Keenoo
I believe this fan belonged to my maternal grandmother. It had been sitting amongt a number of items which I inherited after my mother passed away. Most of the rest of those treasures are being displayed in a china cabinet but this one sits on my window ledge, collecting sun rays (and probably dust).





out my window
THE SUN
I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person. There was such a glory over everything. The sun came up like gold through the trees, and I felt like I was in heaven. ~ Harriet Tubman
The sky had been stormy through much of the day. Heavy clouds were still threatening to disguise the sunset. But at the last moment, they reconsidered and allowed this brilliant lighting of the treetops. You can also see my desk lamp reflecting in the window from across the room.





full moon through misty windows4
THE MOON
The moon is friend for the lonesome to talk to. ~ Carl Sandburg
The trees appeared to be passing the moon back and forth between them like a tentative game of toss and catch. Or I might have just been wavering back and forth, instead of holding still for the night shot.





hummingbird shower3
THE TRUTH 
I hear like you see - like that hummingbird outside that window for instance. ~ Ray Charles
This was taken through the kitchen window at my past home on the lake. I was getting such a kick out of watching this little guy delight in the refreshing June shower. There's a short video of it below.




There is no easy way to bathe a hummingbird. ~ Kehlog Albran
Oh, I beg to differ. Just give him a rainy day.





frosty sunrise
THE SUN
People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
My windows get pretty frosty on those colder days and rather misty on the less-than-icy days. On this November day, there was a bit of both which made for an eye-catching presentation of the sunrise.





misty moon tree
THE MOON
The moon in her chariot of pearl. ~ Oscar Wilde
This haze was more of a product of the night atmosphere than the condition of my window.





Skitty through sheers7
THE TRUTH
A cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. ~ Irish Legend
This was my beautiful Skitty boy playing on the window ledge. It was his voice you might have noticed at the very beginning of the hummingbird video. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him and miss him. Zephyr still looks and calls for him every day. He was the sweetest little love, with a personality as big as the sun, the moon and the truth.

53 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i did his hear his voice. :) and thank you for sharing the joy of that tiny bird. :) blessings, dear friend.

Friko said...

A lovely photo essay, Hilary.

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. May it bring you what your heart desires.

Mandy said...

What a lovely post. My boy cat is my best friend - I can only begin to imagine the loss you must be feeling.

I love that Kubler-Ross quote. Her writings got me through my very first grief experience when my bargaining and denial left me feeling like I was going insane. If it hadn't been for her writing and the understanding it gave me, I'm not sure I would have come out of it in one piece.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, dear Hilary!

This is a wonderful set of pictures! The brilliant colored leaves against cloudy skies took my breath away and I also loved the other dark, moody and mysterious images you captured. It was fun to see the male cardinal having a territory dispute with his own reflection and a joy to witness the happy little hummingbird taking a shower. Thank you for showing us nature at her finest and most spectacular.

Happy new year, dear friend Hilary!

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful Hilary. Your visual and lyrical poetry are wonderful.

Out on the prairie said...

Sometimes that sun will highlight a particular area and one must be quick to shoot it.Love those hummers

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I am always touched by the depth of your view. Your life view, your eye for the light, you are blessed and so am I for the knowing of you. xoxo Oma Linda

Rosaria Williams said...

This is a true reflection of your spirit, a lover of beauty, light and the connections we make with the world. Thanks for sharing this richness of soul.

Leah J. Utas said...

Those are so beautiful, Hilary. The one with the lamp is so calming.

Anonymous said...

These are all such beautiful captures, including Skitty's voice on the video. I get too busy snapping still photos and forget I can also capture the sounds and movement that go with them, which are truly treasured later.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

loved all your shots!!

joeh said...

Great photos, loved the Hummingbird video!

Phyllis E said...

Beautiful as always, Cuzzie. I especially loved the hummingbird and Mother Nature's stained glass window.

messymimi said...

Lovely shots, always nice to see what you see!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love to see what others see from their windows.These are amazing sights.Love that little Hummer enjoying the rain.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots... especially that pretty missed cat.

Hilary said...

All Beautiful......and your sweet boy. It takes a long time to get over losing a friend.

Laura said...

What an exquisite series of images, quotes and commentary Hilary :-)

Barb said...

Treasures among your images, Hilary! I love the one of Skitty behind the curtain. The trees playing with the golden moon is awesome. I just loved the little Hummer in the video - I've never seen one stay in place that long. Wonderful light and shadow in your photos.

L. D. said...

Your collection of photos is stunning. All of them so well composed and planned. I like how you captured the light on the faces of the house. Great photos.

Karen said...

Lovely shots Hillary.

I don't think I'm going to make it to Peterborough next week after all. I have a knee injury that needs some serious attention as soon as the system is back to regular schedule.

Jackie said...

As I look at your photographs, I am drawn to the shadows in several of them. How stunning those shadows are! What beauty and depth they give to everything around them. Works of art, your photos are... Works of art.
And, I smile at the sweet hummingbird. They LOVE to feed and play in the rain shower. During the time they are here (south Georgia)if I'm not seeing many of them outside my kitchen window, I will put a sprinkler on and sit back and watch. They canNOT resist a shower of "rain."
You are a fantastic photographer.
I wish you a beautiful 2016, Hilary.
Hugs and love,
Jackie

Theresa said...

What a stunning Skitty photo. I mean they are all lovely, but neither the sun, moon or truth are as near and cuddly as our furry friends. Peace, hugs and pets all around Hilary. Hoping you have a beautiful 2016.

Red said...

Great moon photos. What really sets it off is the quote by Carl Sandburg. How true that the moon is something the lonely can talk to.

Mage said...

Marvelous picture of Skitty. How great it was that you had him for a while. I glory that we have a bit of you again giving us these thoughts and powerful images. Thank you.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I was just thinking of Skitty a few days ago, and wondering how Zephyr was handling the loss.
May your light continue to shine out in the darkness, Hilary. ♥

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I love the cat through the curtains :)

DJan said...

Fabulous pictures, as always, Hilary. I love that hummingbird video. He's definitely enjoying himself. And that Skitty picture is divine. Sending you lots of love and hugs this fine end-of-December day. :-)

Gayle said...

Just completed my third visit to this page. What an enormous gift! How grateful I am to know you and your artistry. The quotes you choose are perfection. The photos are beyond! I shared your blog with many. So incredibly grand, Hilary. Thank you. {{{}}}

photowannabe said...

I really like the quiet drama of your photos. Each one is a story all it's own. Such perfect quotes to go with them too.
The poor cardinal !!
I do love the photo of Skitty through the filmy curtains.
Happy New Year Hilary...we do go back a few years in Blogdom.

Dan said...

A beautiful journey filled with wonder.

Suldog said...

You take the best cat photos.

Cloudia said...

Your wonderful post lifted me to the very heights, then reminded me of the loss inherent in it all. Bless you, my teacher, my friend, fellow cat lover

sage said...

Great moon shots and I really like the shot of the sun through the frost window. Have a wonderful New Year.

Becca said...

That picture of the cardinal is amazing. I love getting to see birds closer up! :)

yaya said...

Your photos are so amazing and you have such a gift for making the ordinary extraordinary! I love the one of Skitty..I hope you have it framed. The fall colors are so beautiful and one of the pics reminds me of a Monet with it's colors. Have a wonderful New Year Hilary! I still can't believe 2015 is almost over! I almost forgot...I think the hummingbird video is so cool...it just says "Joy"!

Dawning Inspiration said...

So admiring the light and the color!
Happy New Year to you!!

Anvilcloud said...

I have always been impressed with how you ties a theme with photos taken over a long period of time. I liked your frosted sun and kitty behind the curtains best as if it matters one hoot or holler what I liked best.

Speaking of the cardinal. We once had a robin who would attack our kitchen window -- day after day, even year after year. He's sit on a nearby fence, fly into the window, go back to the fence and do it all again ... and again. It took hanging an aluminum pie plate in the window to stop him/her. We did this for the bird's sake, not the windows's.

Kay said...

Thank you so much for your visit and comment, Hilary. These are absolutely gorgeous, artistic photos! Thank you for sharing them and I love the first teaching of the Buddha too. I hope the truth does show itself in our country soon.

Sandra Cox said...

What perfect pictures and quotes to go with them. Thanks for putting the time in to pull them together.

Betsy Brock said...

Hi, Hilary! I saw you commenting at Larry's and was happily surprised to see you there. I didn't realize you were back to blogging so I hoped over to see for myself and say hello. I paged back to September and caught up on all the happenings. I'm so sorry for the stress, the move and the loss of your sweet Skit. I hope you've settled in now and things are looking brighter for you!

Glo said...

Your photos and quotes are just breathtaking. You know light so well! I was fascinated with your little hummingbird thoroughly enjoying the shower...it is really an insight into the lives of these little ones. I have had a visiting hummingbird on the twig at the front door, this year and last year. I think it needs to take a lesson from his back-east relative and appreciate the rain for the opportunity it offers:) I appreciate your visits to my blog, and loved your poetic response to my 'Twas's. I wish you a wonderful new year and hope the year brings you peace and happiness.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

I love that last photo of Skitty, and the hummingbird was so fun to watch. I liked the reflection of the lamp in that one image, too. Just a great set of photos.

Anonymous said...

What glorious shots! And a lovely shot of dear Skittles...

deeps said...

Happy New Year to you

Shammickite said...

Hi Hilary! Ahhh lovely photo of Skitty! And the trees, and the hummingbird and ,,, well all of it!
Sending you Best Wishes for good health and lots of good times in 2016! This will be a much better year, I can feel it in my bones....

Kat said...

Wonderful photos. They all have such warmth to them.
That video was too sweet! I had never seen such a thing. I just love hummingbirds too. We get so many of them at our feeder in summer. I have NEVER seen them bathing before. So cute! Thank you for sharing! :)
Hope you have a blessed and happy New Year!

Betty Manousos said...

Happy New Year!!

all the best in 2016!
xoxo


excellent photos btw.

Betty Manousos said...

excellent post too!

Ruby said...

Have a wonderful New year Hilary!!

ToBlog today said...

Wishing you all the best in 2016 happiness, peace, and joy. :)

Daryl said...

such exquisite images and i always marvel at the way you find the perfect comment/quote to go with

Maggie May said...

Hard to pick a favourite as they're all really beautiful.
Happy New Year!
Maggie x